Rwandan Leader Paul Kagame Blasts West for Harboring Genocide Suspects (UPDATED)Kagame accuse l’Occident de ne pas poursuvire des génocidaires

Paul_Kagame_b

For UPDATES, scroll down.

Rwanda leader accuses West of leniency for genocide suspects

By Staff
AFP via Raw Story

English | French

Rwandan President Paul Kagame on Saturday accused unspecified Western countries of failing to stop genocide suspects on their territory as his country marked the 18th anniversary of a Tutsi massacre.

“As we remember those we lost, some of those who killed them are still moving freely in some capitals of the so-called free world,” said Kagame.

“There is little effort to apprehend them and when this happens, it is a token meant to blind us and give us the impression that they are doing justice.

“They are released shortly after. Yet when acts of terrorism are committed against their people, the whole world is mobilized, in fact sometimes forced to join in the research of those criminals so that they can be brought to justice.”

Rwandan President Paul Kagame (2nd L) and Rwandan First Lady, Jeanette Kagame (Photo: AFP).

A French court last week for the first time agreed that a suspect should be extradited to Rwanda to face charges of genocide.

The court ruling followed an international arrest warrant issued in December for Claude Muhayimana, a French-Rwandan dual national who is accused of taking part in genocide and crimes against humanity.

The extradition can only go ahead if the French government gives its accord, and France has never allowed its nationals to be extradited.

France has previously extradited Rwandan citizens to Tanzania to face trial at the International Criminal Tribunal (ICTR) for Rwanda but has never sent anyone to Rwanda itself for trial over the 1994 genocide.

Western countries and the ICTR had long hesitated to transfer indicted genocide suspects living abroad or detainees to Rwanda’s national jurisdiction, fearing they would be denied a fair trial.

But Kagame, who spoke in English and in the country’s principal local language, said,

“It would appear that Rwandan lives, or similarly, lives of Africans, are less valued than the lives of their citizens.

“It is hypocrisy, injustice that we Africans have had to confront for a long time and that we must reject by all means.”

Perpetrated by ethnic Hutu extremists the April-July 1994 genocide left nearly 800,000 people dead, according to the United Nations.

French investigative magistrates met with Rwanda’s prosecutor general, Martin Ngoga, earlier this week after he threatened to suspend all cooperation with France.

Rwanda says the differences have been cleared and French investigators are now free to pursue their work in Rwanda.

 

Source: AFP via Raw Story

 

 UPDATE on April 19th:

Uwinkindi finally arrives in Kigali

By Staff
New Times Rwanda

Genocide suspect Jean Bosco Uwinkindi this evening arrived in the Rwandan capital Kigali hours after losing a petition for a stay of his transfer from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).

Jean Uwinkindi on arrival at Kigali International Airport. Behind him is Roland Amousouga the ICTR Spokesman (Photo: The New Times/ John Mbanda).

The decision to transfer Uwinkindi to Kigali was first taken in June, 2011, and upheld by an appeals chamber later in December.

A seemingly pensive Uwinkindi arrived at the Kigali International Airport aboard a commercial RwandAir flight at 6p.m, and was later delivered to Rwandan prosecutors, who, in turn, handed him over to designated judicial police officers.

Among the officials who witnessed his arrival were the ICTR Spokesperson and Roland Amousouga, the head of Rwanda’s Genocide Fugitives Tracking Unit, John Bosco Siboyintore, and the Spokesperson of the National Public Prosecution Authority (NPPA), Alain Mukurarinda.

Uwinkindi was shortly afterwards driven away to a special transit facility at the Kigali Central Prison – where he joined Leon Mugesera, another Genocide suspect deported from Canada earlier this year.

“The NPPA would like to thank the ICTR generally for the significant vote of confidence it has given to the Rwandan justice system, and for the smooth execution of this transfer,” reads a statement signed by Mukurarinda.

Uwinkindi becomes the first suspect to be transferred from the Tanzania-based UN court to Rwanda, with the tribunal having also referred to Kigali files for two Genocide fugitives.

Uwinkindi, a former Pastor of the Pentecostal Church in Kanzenze, Bugesera in the former Kigali-Rural prefecture, is accused of unleashing killers on thousands of Tutsi refugees, including members of his church, during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.

His indictment alleges that he led a group of killers to look for and exterminate Tutsi civilians, and on numerous occasions planned, instigated, ordered and committed acts of genocide against Tutsi. The prosecution says that after Uwinkindi fled Rwanda in July 1994, about 2,000 corpses were found near his former church.

Uwinkindi is charged with three counts of genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide and extermination as a crime against humanity.

 

Source: New Times Rwanda

Contact email: felly.kimenyi[at]newtimes.co.rw

 

 

 

Kagame accuse l’Occident de ne pas poursuvire des génocidaires

Par le personnel
AFP via Jeune Afrique

anglais | français

Le président rwandais Paul Kagame a accusé samedi certains pays occidentaux, qu’il n’a pas cités, de laisser circuler librement sur leur territoire des personnes soupçonnées de participation au génocide des Tutsi de 1994, que le Rwanda commémorait pour la dix-huitième année.

Perpétré par des extrémistes hutu, le génocide d’avril à juillet 1994 a fait, selon l’ONU, près de 800. 000 tués.

“Au moment où nous honorons la mémoire de ceux que nous avons perdus, certains de ceux qui les ont tués circulent encore librement dans les capitales du monde dit libre.

“Il y a peu d’efforts pour les appréhender et lorsque cela arrive, c’est un simulacre destiné à nous aveugler et nous donner l’impression qu’ils sont en train de rendre justice”,

a déclaré le dirigeant rwandais.

Le président rwandais Paul Kagame (2nd de la gauche) and première dame rwandais, Jeanette Kagame (Credit: AFP).

La France se trouve au premier rang des pays souvent accusés par le Rwanda de faire insuffisamment d’efforts pour poursuivre les suspects de génocide se trouvant sur son territoire.

Une délégation de juges d’instruction français a rencontré cette semaine à Kigali le procureur général du Rwanda, Martin Ngoga, après que celui-ci eut menacé de suspendre la coopération de son institution avec la justice française. Selon la partie rwandaise, le différend a été aplani et les enquêteurs français peuvent poursuivre leurs missions au Rwanda.

Même lorsque les suspects sont arrêtés,

“ils sont relâchés peu après”,

a encore accusé le président rwandais, dans un discours en anglais puis en langue rwandaise.

“Mais lorsque des actes de terrorisme sont commis contre leur peuple, le monde entier est mobilisé, en réalité, parfois forcé de se joindre à la recherche de ces criminels pour qu’ils soient traduits en justice “, a-t-il fait remarquer.

“C’est comme si les vies de Rwandais, ou de façon similaire, les vies d’Africains avaient moins de valeur que les vies de leurs ressortissants”, a estimé M. Kagame.

Le chef de l’Etat rwandais a estimé qu’il s’agissait

“d’une hypocrisie, d’une injustice que les Africains ont longtemps subies et qu’ils doivent rejeter par tous les moyens”.

 

Origine: AFP via Jeune Afrique

Leave a Reply