UN Soldiers Accused of Rape By Haitian Youth in Uruguayan Court

 

Johnny Jean identifies before a judge in Montevideo the UN soldiers who raped him in Port-Salut

By staff
AHP

English | French

Translated from the French by Dady Chery for Haiti Chery

Montevideo, Uruguay – A young man from Port-Salut was heard Thursday, May 10, 2012 by Uruguayan Judge Guido Alejandro, and he identified in court the soldiers he accuses of having raped him in a Port Salut (southern) base of the UN Stabilisation Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH).

Nineteen year-old Johnny Jean: “I never thought something like this could happen to me. I can no longer live in Port-Salut; I want to find justice.”- Press conference on January 24, 2012 (Credit: Le Nouvelliste).

Rosemarie Jean, Johnny’s mother talks to the press on January 24, 2012 (Credit: Le Nouvelliste).

As of now, the Court is allowed two months to decide whether the case merits trying the UN soldiers.

After the hearing, one of the United States lawyers who accompanied the young man told reporters that there has been rape, and there is video and medical evidence to prove it.

Johnny Jean, who arrived in Montevideo on Wednesday, May 9, 2012 with his mother, lawyers and Uruguayan ambassador Romero Rodríguez, revealed in September 2011, after a video of the act began to circulate on the net, that he had been sodomized by the MINUSTAH soldiers.

MINUSTAH, which had been reluctant to move on the issue to the point of immediately repatriating the accused, had to come to terms with the pressure and demonstrations everywhere, and especially in the South.

The government of President José Mujica has indicated through the Foreign Ministry its determination to shed light on the issue.

Since Johnny Jean’s arrival in the Uruguayan capital, his location has been kept secret to protect him from harassment by the press, said Uruguayan officials.

The Uruguayan government has guaranteed the security of the alleged victim and those who accompany him. The costs of Johnny Jean’s trip and his stay are paid for by the government, according to an official communiqué quoted by Spanish news agency EFE. [Though Uruguay has balked at paying for Johnny’s mother who came along to lend him emotional support. DC]

The hearing is scheduled for 2 pm (Uruguay). The alleged rapists are currently on “parole” until the conclusion of the judicial proceedings. Johnny Jean’s testimony is vital to the case.

UN troops are accused of many other instances of rape and sexual abuse against minors, boys and girls, in other parts of Haiti including Gonaives. But in most of these cases, the defendants are either shielded, sent to their countries, or are the subject of canned judgments by military personnel from the UN mission.

VIDEO: Johnny and Rosemary Jean, with attorney Edwin Marger in Montevideo before the hearing (Al Jazeera, YouTube, 2 1/2 min).

Sources:  AHP (May 10, 2012, French) | Al Jazeera | Haiti Chery (English)

 Related:
Uruguayan People Demand MINUSTAH Withdrawal

Johnny Jean identifie, devant un juge à Montevideo, les casques bleus onusiens qui l’ont violé à Port-Salut

Par le personnel
AHP

anglais | français

Montevideo, Uruguay – Le jeune port-salutain a éte entendu jeudi par le juge uruguayen Alejandro Guido et a identifié devant la cour, les casques bleus qu’il accuse de l’avoir violé dans une base de la mission ds nations-Unies en Haïti, à Port-Salut (sud).

Johnny Jean à 19 ans: « Je ne pensais pas qu'une telle chose pourrait m'arriver. Je ne peux plus vivre à Port-Salut; je veux trouver justice. » Conference de presse, le 24 janvier 2012 (credit: Le Nouvelliste).

Rosemarie Jean, la mère de Johnny Jean pendant une conférence de presse le 24 Janvier 2012 (credit: Le Nouvelliste).

A present, la Cour dispose d’un délai de deux mois pour decider si le cas merite que les casques bleus passent en justice.

Un des avocats américains qui acompagnent le jeune homme a indiqué à l’issue l’audience aux journalistes, qu’il y a bien eu viol et qu’il y a une video et une évidence medicale pour le prouver.

Johnny Jean était arrivé mercredi à Montevideo en compagnie de sa mère, de ses avocats et de l’ambassadeur itinérant uruguayen Romero Rodríguez, avait révélé avoir eté sodomisé par les soldats de la mission des nations-Unies en septembre 2011, après que le film de l’acte eut commencé à circuler sur le net.

La MINUSTAH qui s’était montrée reticente à faire cas de ce dossier au point de rapatrier aussitôt les accusés, avait dû en tenir compte suite à des pressions et des manifestations organisées un peu partout et particulièrement dans le Sud.

Le gouvernement du président José Mujica a fait savoir par le biais du Ministère des Affaires etrangères, sa détermination à faire le jour sur ce dossier.

Depuis son arrivée dans la capitale uruguayenne, le lieu où est logé Johnny Jean, est tenu secret pour, selon les autorités urugyennes, le proteger de tout harcèlement de la presse.

Le gouvernement uruguayen a donné des garanties de sécurité à la presumée victime ainsi qu’à ceux qui l’accompagnent. Et les coûts de son voyage et de son séjour sont payés par le gouvernement, selon un communiqué officiel cité par l’agence espagnole EFE.

L’audience devrait commencer à 2 heures (heure uruguayenne). Les présumés violeurs sont pour l’instant en “liberté conditionnelle”, jusqu’à ce qu’aboutisse la procédure judiciaire. Et le témoignage de Johnny Jean est vital dans ce dosier.

Des casques bleus sont accusés dans de nombreux autres cas de viols et de sévices sexuels contre des mineurs filles et garcons dans de nombreuses autres regions du pays dont les Gonaïves. Mais dans la plupart, de ces cas, les accusés sont soit couverts, soit envoyés dans leurs pays ou font l’objet de jugements-bidon organisés par des militaires de la MINUSTAH.

 

Source: AHP (10 mai, 2012)

Lire aussi:
Nouveau cas de viol collectif de la MINUSTAH
Le Sénat vote une résolution réclamant que des soldats de l’ONU accusés de crimes soient jugés en Haïti

Leave a Reply