Port Market Burns in Port-au-Prince Again and Again | Le marché du Port est incendié encore et encore

haiti_market_fireLa_Saline_2009

Editorial note. The following articles describe yet another kind of assault on Haiti’s small agricultural vendors: a regular torching of the open-air markets where these vendors store and sell their goods. More fires have happened since then, including one on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. Other markets have been burned besides the one noted in the article; these include those of the city of Gonaives and of the Saline, Tabarre and Petionville areas of Port-au-Prince. – Dady Chery

The Port Market is burned

By Reynold Aris
Le Matin

English | French

Translated from the French by Dady Chery for Haiti Chery

Early in the morning on Monday, June 18, 2012, the Port Market went up in smoke. According to traders, over 60 containers were ablaze. The losses are considerable. But no information has been forthcoming about the motives for this conflagration or its authors.

Charred clothing and trestles, containers on fire, tiles ablaze, etc., were among some of the sights at the Port Market. With tears in the eyes of some, silence from others, the merchants helplessly watched their stored products burn in this Port-au-Prince commercial center.

These vendors, profoundly dismayed, say they are left to themselves. Some blame the municipal authorities for doing nothing to guarantee the security of the area. Bernadette Charles, a trader said that they have been repeatedly subjected to numerous threats of a fire at this location. After one year and three months, the market is on fire again. And the vendors are the victims.

For her part, mayor of Port-au-Prince Gabrielle Hyacinthe [a substitute appointed by Martelly to replace an elected mayor] condemns the practice, which in her opinion, has no other end than the regression of the country. Such acts, says Ms. Hyacinthe, deserve to be severely punished if these turn out to be arson.

Departmental Delegate for the West, Louis Gonzague Edner Day, for his part, says he cannot speculate on the motives and perpetrators of this conflagration. For him, what matters is the removal of the unaffected goods. This step is very important to completely put out the fire.

According to Port-au-Prince Chief Prosecutor Jean Renel Senatus, information on the nature of this fire is not yet available, which is a source of difficulty. He proposes, however, to undertake an investigation to determine its causes.

In addition, Mr Senatus noted that three attempts to burn this market have already been aborted. The Chief Prosecutor promises to shed light on this fire.

arisreynold@yahoo.fr

New suspicious fire at the Port Market: Significant damage

By staff (spp)
Radio Kiskeya

Translated from the French by Dady Chery for Haiti Chery

Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Friday July 13, 2012. Convinced that this drama is the work of criminal hands and the continuation of a never-ending horror, the victims of the disaster are attacking those in power and accusing them of having done nothing whatever to secure the market since another fire destroyed much of it last month.

During the night of Thursday July 12 to Friday July 13, a new fire, apparently of a criminal nature, destroyed the Port Market of Croix-des-Bossales (central Port-au-Prince) where the vendors have previously expressed their despair and resentment against the authorities.

According to statements by several of the victims, strangers set fire to the market, still left to itself less than a month after another sinister fire consumed it on June 18.

They reproached the Martelly-Lamothe administration for its passivity about the other instances and stressed that it is their responsibility to guarantee the safety of the Port Market facilities, which are among the busiest in the capital.

Unable to make a preliminary estimate of the losses, traders said they’ve lost lots of goods that were stored in makeshift settlements on the ruins of the public market, also nicknamed “Guérite,” which has been destroyed by fire several times in recent years.

Port-au-Prince commissioner Jean Renel Sénatus promised to act against those, he says, who want to wreak havoc in his jurisdiction for political reasons related to personal interests.

The chief public prosecutor issued an unsuccessful warrant against former Port-au-Prince mayor Muscadin Jean Yves Jason as part of the investigation into the suspicious fire of June 18.

The concerned party [Mr. Jason] has denounced the warrant as being arbitrary, illegal and politically motivated.

Since the beginning of the year, several markets in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area, including the one in Tabarre, have fallen victim to fires qualified as being certainly criminal.

Sources: Le Matin Radio KiskeyaNote de la rédaction. L’article ci-dessous décrit un autre type d’agression en  Haïti contre les petits producteurs agricoles: des incendies régulières aux marchés en plein air où les petits vendeurs guardent et vendent leurs marchandises. Outre le marché décrit dans l’article ci-dessous, d’autres qui ont été brûlés comprennent ceux de La Saline, Tabarre, Pétionville, et Gonaïves. DC

Le marché du Port est incendié

Par Reynold Aris
Le Matin

anglais | français

Ce lundi 18 juin 2012, très tôt dans la matinée, le marché du port s’envole en fumée. D’après les marchands plus d’une soixantaine de conteneurs seraient embrasés. Les pertes sont considérables. Mais aucune information n’a été communiquée en ce qui a trait aux auteurs et motifs de cet embrasement.

Des vêtements et tréteaux carbonisés, des conteneurs en feu, des tôles en flamme, etc., sont entre autres les images du marché du Port. Larmes aux yeux pour certains, mutisme pour d’autres, les marchands assistent impuissamment à l’embrasement de leurs produits entreposés au local de ce centre commercial de Port-au-Prince.

Ces marchands, profondément consternés, disent s’être livrés à eux-mêmes. Certains d’entre eux fustigent les autorités municipales qui n’ont rien entrepris en vue de garantir la sécurité dudit espace. Bernadette Charles, une commerçante a avoué qu’elles ont été, à maintes reprises, l’objet de nombreuses menaces se rapportant à l’incendie de ce point de vente. Après un an trois mois, une nouvelle fois le marché est incendié. Et les marchands en sont victimes.

De son côté, la mairesse de Port-au-Prince, Gabrielle Hyacinthe, condamne cette pratique, qui à son avis, n’a d’autre fin que la régression du pays. De tels actes, affirme Mme Hyacinthe, méritent d’être punis avec rigueur au cas où il s’agirait d’un incendie d’origine criminelle.

Pour sa part, le délégué départemental de l’Ouest, Louis Gonzague Edner Day, croit qu’il ne peut spéculer sur les motifs et auteurs de cet embrasement. Pour lui, ce qui importe c’est l’évacuation des marchandises non affectées. Cette étape revêt une grande importance pour arriver à l’extinction totale de l’incendie.

Selon le commissaire du gouvernement de Port-au-Prince, Jean Renel Sénatus, les informations sur la nature de cet incendie ne sont pas encore disponibles. Ce qui le met dans le pétrin. Cependant, il s’engage à diligenter une enquête en vue de déterminer ses causes.

Par ailleurs, Maître Sénatus a confié que trois tentatives visant à bruler ce marché ont déjà été avortées. Le chef des poursuites a promis, en ce sens, de faire la lumière sur cet incendie.

arisreynold@yahoo.fr

Source: Le Matin

Nouvel incendie suspect au marché du port : Importants dégâts

Par le personnel (spp)
Radio Kiskeya

Port-au-Prince, Haiti, le vendredi 13 juillet 2012. Convaincus que ce drame serait l’ouvre de mains criminelles et la poursuite d’une série noire qui n’en finit pas, des sinistrés s’en prennent au pouvoir qu’ils accusent de n’avoir rien fait pour sécuriser le marché depuis l’autre incendie qui l’avait détruit en grande partie, le mois dernier.

Un nouvel incendie apparemment criminel a ravagé dans la nuit de jeudi à vendredi le marché du port, à la Croix-des-Bossales (centre de Port-au-Prince) où des marchands (es) ont exprimé leur désespoir et leur ressentiment contre les autorités.

Selon les déclarations de plusieurs des sinistrés, des inconnus auraient incendié le marché, toujours livré à lui-même, moins d’un mois après un autre sinistre qui l’avait consumé le 18 juin dernier.

Reprochant au gouvernement Martelly/Conille d’avoir fait montre de passivité depuis les derniers événements, ils soulignent qu’il est de sa responsabilité d’assurer la sécurité des installations du marché du port, l’un des plus fréquentés de la capitale.

Incapables de faire une première estimation des pertes enregistrées, les commerçants indiquent avoir perdu des lots de marchandises entreposés dans des installations de fortune, sur les ruines du marché public également surnommé « Guérite » qui a été la proie des flammes à plusieurs reprises au cours des dernières années.

Le commissaire du gouvernement de Port-au-Prince, Jean Renel Sénatus, a promis de sévir contre ceux qui, dit-il, pour des raisons politiciennes liées à des intérêts personnels, veulent semer la pagaille dans sa juridiction.

Le chef du parquet a émis sans succès un mandat d’amener contre l’ancien maire de la capitale, Muscadin Jean Yves Jason, dans le cadre de l’enquête ouverte sur l’incendie suspect du 18 juin.

L’intéressé a dénoncé le caractère arbitraire et illégal de ce mandat qui cacherait des motivations politiques.

Depuis le début de l’année, plusieurs marchés de la zone métropolitaine de Port-au-Prince, dont celui de Tabarre, ont été victimes d’incendies qualifiés pour certains de criminels.

Source: Radio Kiskeya

Lisez aussi:
Un nouveau décret de transport en Haïti endommagera les petits vendeurs agricoles
L’importation massive d’œufs et de volailles inquiète les productrices et producteurs au Plateau Central

Leave a Reply