Bandits or Resistance Against Land Grab in Martissant? | Des Bandits ou une resistance contre les accaparaments de terre à Martissant?

Martissant_Haiti

SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATES

Police accused of arson, theft and repression in Martissant

By spp
Radio Kiskeya

English | French

Translated from the French by Dady Chery, Haiti Chery

Port-au-Prince, Haiti — After two policemen were attacked by armed men who caused them serious injuries, officers of the Departmental Unit of Maintenance of Order (UDMO) are alleged to have retaliated against innocent people in a reign of terror in Nan Beny and Ti Bois, according to testimonies from the people in this populous area that is today on the verge of a revolt against the Martelly regime.

On Wednesday August 1, Residents of Nan Beny and Ti Bois, two blocks from the populous neighbornood of Martissant 23 (south Port-au-Prince), accused UDMO police officials of launching a hunt that caused casualties and significant property damage, in retaliation for a raid by armed men in which two policemen were seriously injured.

Several people were injured by gunshots or beaten, and shops and houses were burned on Tuesday, July 31, by law enforcement officers in uniform who also set fire to four motorcycles and broke the windshield of various cars, testified angry residents of Nan Beny and Ti Bois into the microphone of RadioTV Kiskeya.

Thefts were also committed and arrests made during this counter-offensive of a boundless brutality supposedly meant to punish an attack that gangs operating in the district had conducted against a police patrol.

A woman claims to have lost more than five thousand gourdes ($116) from her home, which was ransacked, while the owner of a local lottery stand said he was beaten and robbed of his day’s earnings by UDMO men who would listen to nothing.

A young man with a bandaged arm said he was pummeled with stones.

The victims and their relatives, who are very angry against the authorities, are calling for justice and redress, and say they are willing to initiate a protest movement against head of state Martelly, arguing that they had not brought him to power to be persecuted or abused. They accuse an alleged police informer known as “Vicky” of helping to orchestrate the Haitian National Police’s (PNH) alleged campaign of destruction and say that since Tuesday, they’ve been sleeping outdoors and fearing a return of even nastier UDMO agents.

The wanted suspects, for their part, would be on the run.

West Department PNH Chief Michel-Ange Gedeon announced Tuesday that troops would be maintained in the Martissant 23 are, which is deemed to be an unsafe.

However, as of Wednesday night the police force had not yet responded to the serious allegations that devastate their image as a guarantor of peace and public safety.

View of Martissant neighborhood in Haiti’s capital city of Port-au-Prince (Source: MSF).

Two policemen killed during an attack on a police patrol

Unsuccessful intervention of PNH and MINUSTAH to apprehend the attackers

By jmd
Radio Kiskeya

English | French

Translated from the French by Dady Chery, Haiti Chery

Port-au-Prince, Haiti — Unknown assailants opened fire against a police patrol, seriously injuring two policemen on the morning of Tuesday July 31 at “Route des Dalles” — “Ti Bois” area of Martissant, a neighborhood in the south of Port-au-Prince.

West Department Police Chief Michel-Ange Gedeon, who confirmed the incident, informed the public about the operations immediately done in the area by members of various police units and the MINUSTAH “peacekeepers” [my quotes, DC] who were, however, unable to apprehend the attackers. Moreover, bullet-proof vests were found in a house, the police official said, without specifying whether any arrests had been made after the search.

Michel-Ange Gedeon explained that, due to the layout of the area, the police, not wanting to make innocent victims, opted to dispense with the requisite pursuit to apprehend the gunmen. Operations to find them would continue, he assured the public.

The Police Chief from the West also reiterated the determination of the police to ensure the safety of the public and participants in the Carnaval des Fleurs, which, from Sunday to Tuesday, July 29-31, mobilized almost half the workforce of the National Police of Haiti (PNH).

Route des Dalles resident Sibrun Rosier, reached by telephone by Radio Kiskeya, said the clashes between police and gunmen have caused injuries, but he did not indicate either the number or the identity of the injured. Rosier is also upset with the police for the way it conducted the operation. He said the police molested peaceable citizens, shattered the windshields of cars belonging to residents, and torched at least 5 houses.

Martissant was classified a “red zone” by the UN Mission for Stabilization in Haiti (MINUSTAH) and the PNH during the turbulent period from 2004 to 2006, after the overthrow of President Aristide. Disarmament operations were conducted in Martissant and in other areas of lawlessness. However, the general impression remains that these operations did not bring the expected results and that many illegal weapons are still circulating in these areas.

UPDATES:

Aug. 8, 2012 (RadioTV Caraibes) West Department UDMO Chief Michel-Ange Gedeon announced that bounties of over 10,000 gourdes ($230) would be offered to help capture alleged bandits Chery Crista, Apu Pa M, Ti Kenkenn and Nicodemus.

Sep. 3, 2012 (AlterPresse) According to a new report, on Tuesday July 31 around 8:00 a.m., after a group of armed men opened fire on a police car, injuring two policemen, the police returned their fire right in the middle of a crowd, not caring about civilian casualties. Shortly thereafter, five UDMO cars arrived with UDMO officers as well as MINUSTAH soldiers, to support the police. The MINUSTAH troops stood by as the UDMO officers beat up the area’s people, smashed the windshields of cars, burned motorcycles and torched 15 buildings. After the houses were burned, MINUSTAH and some firefighters helped to put out what was left of the fire.

Oct. 6, 2012 (HaitiLibre) Martissant remains under seige. On Friday October 5, with great fanfare U.S. Ambassador Pamela White inaugurated a USAID-financed and NGO-run health center and antiretroviral treatment (ARV) treatment at Cite l’Eternel at Martissant. She also visited a legal assistance NGO called Kay Jistis Martissant; the stated purpose of this USAID-financed organization is to establish an Office of Public Legal Assistance to “decongest” the courts of peace.

Sources: Radio Kiskeya #1 (French) | Radio Kiskeya #2 (French) | Haiti Chery (English)

La police accusée d’incendie criminel, de répression et de vol à Martissant 23

Par spp
Radio Kiskeya

anglais | français

Port-au-Prince, Haiti, 1er août 2012. Attaqués par des bandits ayant fait deux blessés graves dans leurs rangs, les agents de l’Unité Departmental de Maintien d’Ordre (l’UDMO) se seraient vengés contre des innocents en faisant régner la terreur à Nan Beny et Ti Bois, selon les témoignages d’habitants de cette zone populaire aujourd’hui au bord de la révolte contre le régime de Michel Martelly.

Des résidents de Nan Beny et Ti Bois, deux blocs du quartier populaire de Martissant 23 (banlieue sud de Port-au-Prince), ont accusé mercredi les agents de l’UDMO de la police d’avoir lancé une véritable chasse à l’homme ayant fait des victimes et d’importants dégâts matériels en représailles à un raid de bandits au cours duquel deux policiers ont été grièvement blessés.

Plusieurs personnes ont été blessées par balle ou passées à tabac, des maisonnettes dont des boutiques ont été incendiées mardi par les agents de l’ordre en uniforme qui ont également mis le feu à quatre motos et cassé les pare-brise de diverses voitures, ont témoigné au micro de Radio-Télé Kiskeya des habitants en colère de Nan Beny et Ti Bois.

Des vols auraient été aussi commis et des arrestations effectuées, lors de cette contre-offensive d’une brutalité sans bornes censée punir une attaque que les gangs opérant dans le quartier avaient menée contre une patrouille policière.

Une femme déclare avoir perdu plus de cinq mille gourdes à son domicile retrouvé sens dessus dessous tandis que le tenancier d’une banque de borlette confie avoir été brutalisé et dépossédé de la recette du jour par les hommes de l’UDMO qui ne voulaient rien entendre.

Un bandage au bras, un jeune homme affirme avoir été sauvagement battu à coups de pierre.

Très remontés contre les autorités, les victimes et leurs proches, qui réclament justice et réparation, se disent prêts à enclencher un mouvement de protestation contre le chef de l’Etat, Michel Martelly, arguant qu’ils ne l’avaient pas porté au pouvoir pour être persécutés ou maltraités. Accusant un supposé indicateur de police connu sous le nom de « Vicky » d’avoir aidé la PNH à orchestrer sa présumée campagne de destruction, ils soutiennent que depuis mardi ils dorment à la belle étoile et dans la hantise d’un retour encore plus féroce des agents de l’UDMO.

Les suspects recherchés seraient pour leur part en fuite.

Le directeur départemental de l’ouest de la PNH, Michel-Ange Gédéon, avait annoncé mardi le maintien des troupes à Martissant 23, quartier réputé dangereux.

Cependant, l’institution policière n’avait pas encore réagi mercredi soir à ces graves allégations dévastatrices pour son image de garante de la paix et de la sécurité publique.

 

Vue de Martissant dans Port-au-Prince, la capitale d'Haiti (Source: MSF).

 

Intervention infructueuse de la PNH et de la MINUSTAH pour appréhender les agresseurs

Par jmd
Radio Kiskeya

anglais | français

Port-au-Prince, Haiti, 31 juillet 2012. Des inconnus ont ouvert le feu mardi matin à « Route des Dalles » (quartier de « Ti Bois », Martissant, banlieue sud de la capitale), contre une patrouille policière blessant grièvement deux policiers.

Le Directeur départemental de l’Ouest de la police, Michel-Ange Gédéon, qui a confirmé l’incident, informe de l’intervention effectuée immédiatement après dans la zone par des éléments de différentes unités de la police et des casques bleus de l’ONU qui ne sont toutefois pas parvenus à appréhender les agresseurs. Par contre, des gilets pare-balle ont été retrouvés dans une maison, indique le responsable de police sans préciser si des arrestations y ont été opérées à l’issue de la perquisition.

Michel-Ange Gédéon explique que, en raison de la configuration de la zone, les policiers, ne voulaient pas faire de victimes innocentes et n’ont de ce fait pas effectué la chasse requise en vue d’appréhender les inconnus armés. Il a donné l’assurance que les opérations en vue de les retrouver allaient se poursuivre.

Le responsable de la police dans l’Ouest a également réitéré la détermination de la police à assurer la sécurité de la population et des participants au Carnaval des Fleurs qui, du dimanche 29 au mardi 31 juillet, mobilise presque la moitié de l’effectif de la Police Nationale d’Haïti (PNH).

Un habitant de Route des Dalles, Sibrun Rosier, joint au téléphone par Radio Kiskeya, affirme que les affrontements entre la police et les inconnus armés ont fait des blessés dont il n’a indiqué ni le nombre ni l’identité. Rosier s’en est par ailleurs pris à la police pour la façon dont elle a mené l’opération. Selon lui, les policiers ont molesté de paisibles citoyens, brisé les pare-brises de véhicules appartenant à des riverains et incendié au moins cinq maisons.

Martissant avait été classé « zone rouge » par la Mission des Nations Unies pour la Stabilisation en Haïti (MINUSTAH) et la PNH pendant la période tourmentée de 2004 à 2006, après la chute du président Aristide. Des opérations de désarmement avaient été menées à Martissant ainsi que dans d’autres zones de non-droit. Cependant, l’impression générale demeure qu’elles n’ont pas apporté les résultats escomptés et que de nombreuses armes illégales circulent encore dans les zones considérées.

 

MISE À JOUR: Le 8 août, 2012  (RadioTV Caraibes) Le chef de l’UDMO du Département de l’Ouest, Michel-Ange Gédéon, a annoncé que des primes de plus de 10.000 gourdes (230 $) seront offerts pour aider à capturer les présumés bandits Chery Crista, Apu Pa M, Ti Kenkenn et Nicodème.

 

VIDEO: Un ancien massacre à Martissant en Juillet 2006. A cette époque, l’ONU et les paramilitaires Haitiens tuaient les partisans d’Aristide et les appellaient des “bandits.”

 

Sources: Radio Kiskeya1 | Radio Kiskeya2

Leave a Reply