By Dady Chery
MINUSTAH’s worst crime so far is killing of over 6000 Haitians with cholera. These deaths resulted from a U.N. cover up of the fact that several Nepalese soldiers on the Mirebalais base had become violently ill with cholera, and then the base had dumped its sewage into the Artibonite River. Since MINUSTAH was brought into Haiti in 2004 to support a foreign-sanctioned coup d’etat, rapes, sex traffic, exchange of sex for food, massacres, and murders have been its mainstay. It is a degraded, degrading, and unwanted occupation force that must go.
Top Ten Reasons Why MINUSTAH Should Go
1. MINUSTAH continually harasses and humiliates Haitians. MINUSTAH’s favorite activities include pepper spraying Haitians and capriciously confiscating drivers’ licenses and computers.
2. Common criminals in MINUSTAH enjoy immunity from prosecution. Though over 100 troops have been expelled from Haiti for child prostitution and related charges, MINUSTAH soldiers have enjoyed immunity for most of their crimes, including numerous rapes and the suffocation in August 2010 of a Haitian teenager working on a Nepalese MINUSTAH base.
3. MINUSTAH subverts democracy. Together with the U.S., Canada and France, MINUSTAH fixed elections that excluded 80 percent of the Haitian electorate and brought a Duvalierist, Michel Martelly, into power in May 2011.
4. MINUSTAH interferes in Haiti’s political affairs. Former MINUSTAH head Edmond Mulet recommended that criminal charges be brought against Haiti’s legitimate president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, so as to keep him illegally out of Haiti.
5. MINUSTAH serves as an occupation force. MINUSTAH troops, together with Haitian paramilitaries, ambushed and gunned down over 4,000 members of Fanmi Lavalas – Aristide’s party – soon after Aristide was deposed in 2004 in a coup plotted by the U.S., Canada, France and Haiti’s elite.
6. MINUSTAH has operated as a large anti-Aristide gang. MINUSTAH conducted numerous raids on slums such as Cité Soleil so as to kill civilians who supported Aristide. In some of these raids MINUSTAH soldiers fired tens of thousands of rounds at dwellings and schools. (See the video below.)
7. MINUSTAH troops showed spectacular cowardice after the earthquake of January 2010. During the first 36 hours after the earthquake, the troops hardly assisted Haitians and instead searched for each other.
8. MINUSTAH harbors vandals and vectors of disease. In October 2010, MINUSTAH introduced a cholera epidemic into Haiti. So far, the epidemic has killed over 5,900 Haitians. MINUSTAH covered up the fact that several Nepalese soldiers arrived in Haiti sick with cholera and still lies about its role in the epidemic. As recently as Aug. 6, 2011, MINUSTAH was continuing to dump its fecal matter in Haiti’s rivers.
9. The presence of U.N. troops on Haitian soil is illegal. Haiti’s MINUSTAH is the only U.N. force in a country that is not at war.
10. The Haitian people despise MINUSTAH. Haitians at home and abroad, young and old, rich and poor, have made it known that they want MINUSTAH out of Haiti. Common epithets for the troops are “Volè kabrit!” (Goat thief!), “Kakachwet!” (Shitter!), “Koléra!” and “Pédofil!”
Source: Extracted from Bye-Bye MINUSTAH, by Dady Chery, Haiti Chery, August 15, 2011.
Thanks to SuperHaitian for suggesting this short list from the longer article. DC
Copyright © 2012, 2013 by Dady Chery. All Rights Reserved.